Reimbursement Policy

Please see Traveling to the United States (The National Academies), US State Department and US State Department Visa Waiver Program for information about visas. Note that starting January 12, 2009 all Visa Waiver Program (VWP) travelers are now required to obtain a travel authorization via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to traveling to the U.S. under the VWP.  Please call your local US consulate or embassy and inquire what the rules are pertaining to your country.  If you are already in the U.S. on a visa (e.g. F-1, J-1, or H1B), please talk to the international office at your home institution and inquire about the rules pertaining to reimbursement.

NSF funds can be used for reimbursement of air fare only if a U.S. flag carrier (i.e. a U.S. airline) has been used.  Email any questions or concerns regarding this policy to

All non-US citizens who will be receiving financial support need to fill out a Business Visitor Questionnaire form BEFORE arriving in Nashville.  We will need detailed original receipts for any expenses for which reimbursement is claimed and copies of your visa/visa stamp and I-94 card if applicable. Please note that Vanderbilt may be required to withhold US income tax on your reimbursement.  Please see Vanderbilt International Service and International Tax  website for more information.